Followers

May 12, 2014

Falling From The Sky by Nikki Godwin ~ Review



Links:



Synopsis:


All stability in sixteen-year-old Ridge McCoy’s life crashed and burned in the plane crash that killed his dad. This summer-long basketball camp is his chance to improve his skills and escape his problems back home. But his summer plans take a turn in an unexpected direction when he meets Micah Youngblood, the guy who runs the carousel at the local mall and has a reputation for devouring straight boys’ heterosexuality for breakfast, alongside his chocolate chip pancakes. 

Ridge needs a way to avoid the guys at camp, whose only quest for the summer is to drown in beer and hook up with girls. So when Micah offers to explain how the ten unique horses on the carousel are significant to his tribe, Ridge takes him up on it. Still, Ridge can't decide if this is a bad thing or not. All he knows is that he hasn’t felt this alive since his dad fell from the sky, and as the horse adventures come to an end, Ridge finds himself falling as well – for Micah.



Review:


What would you do if you were falling from the sky?

Ridge McCoy is a quiet, sixteen-year-old guy who stops in the middle of anything to pray for airplanes when he sees one in the sky. He used to be very close to his dad. So when a plane crash in the middle of a rainforest ended his father’s life, it changed ridge’s life forever. He signed up for basketball camp to get away from his emotionally-wrecked mother and little brother who thinks ridge is the worst ig brother who ever set foot in this world, not to mention a  hot girlfriend who wouldn’t break up with him just because she doesn’t want to be the jerk-girlfriend-who-dumped-her-boyfriend-after-tragedy-struck-his-life.

When I started reading this book it must have slipped my mind somehow that it is M/M. I don’t usually read M/M books, but when I realized what’s happening this book has sucked me so far in that it’s kind of impossible to turn back. Questions have already flooded my mind and I’m a lot curious that I couldn’t put the book down.

Falling From The Sky has its own unique way to capture a reader’s interest. This book tested my open-mindedness, and after reading it I quite liked it. I think Ms. Godwin did a good job on addressing reality and homosexuality. Though ‘the emotions of the characters didn’t quite reach me, their predicament hooked my interest. I got to see how an attraction blossoms between the same sex and how they handle it. It was interesting how Ridge coped with his with his attraction with Micah Youngblood and how he overcame his fear in getting found out that he’s attracted to Micah.

The concept is cool. I like how their story started with carousel horses and its history. Micah Youngblood’s character is interesting since everyone knows he’s gay. The way he lured Ridge out of his shell…I salute this guy. He’s the epitome of clever.

Though I don’t usually read M/M books, I like how Falling From The Sky is written. I like the author’s writing style. The words she uses are easily relatable (if that's even a word). Reading this book may be weird for me, but I still think it’s written beautifully.


~ Zee ~





0 comments:

Post a Comment