Followers

December 29, 2014

Review ~ Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire







Synopsis:

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.



Review:

This book is likable for the first half. The second half might just be enough to make you bang your head against a wall, or worse. I fail to see what is beautiful in this disaster of a couple.

It started out fine. I actually liked Abby and Travis for a while. I like it that she’s determined not to be one of Travis’s sexcapades, and that Travis is not determined to make her. They became friends, and there were some sweet moments that made me smile. But then attraction is a bitch. 

Abby started being dense, and despite the obvious signs that Travis was into her, she still didn’t think so. Not even when everyone started telling her. This convinces me that Abby is stupid. Everyone notices Travis’s feelings for her, how can she not know?

I should have stopped reading there, but I wanted to give the book a chance. Surely Abby was just in denial?

When I got to the second half, everything is just annoying. Abby became even stupider, Travis became annoying, America started being childish, and everyone else just became unreasonable. The second half of the book is full of Abby and Travis staying away from each other while telling the other they are still in love. I understand that Abby is trying to make a point, but MY GOSH. The way she does it got on my nerves. I hate reading a book where the characters spend a long period avoiding each other when they’re clearly in love with each other because it feels like such a waste of time. The second half of Beautiful Disaster happened to be one of those books. Ugh.

There are some things I really liked about this book, like Abby’s back story and Shepley and America’s relationship, but sadly it’s not enough to overshadow the parts that I hate. This book is just not for me.



~ Zee

0 comments:

Post a Comment