Followers

January 07, 2015

Review ~ Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins










Synopsis:

Love ignites in the City That Never Sleeps, but can it last?

Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

Featuring cameos from fan-favorites Anna, Étienne, Lola, and Cricket, this sweet and sexy story of true love—set against the stunning backdrops of New York City, Paris, and Barcelona—is a swoon worthy conclusion to Stephanie Perkins’s beloved series.




Purchase links:

Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Book Depository




Review:

Oh, how do I start?

I love the way Stephanie Perkins write. She has a unique way of telling a story that doesn’t allow my eyes and attention to wander elsewhere, even if I am not overly enthused by the plot anymore.

Isla and the Happily Ever After is an enjoyable read, but not the whole book. Still, I like this better than Lola. I liked a lot of Isla-Josh moments, but when I look at the plot I want to cringe. It’s not a very special plot, and even Pekins’s unique storytelling didn’t make me look at it in a different way. It’s just too. . .plain.

I cannot decide if I like Isla or not. I like the tone of her “voice”, but I do not like the way she thinks. She is very obsessed with Josh, which got very annoying eventually. I feel like there is no real conflict in this book; the problem is Isla. That’s it.

Aside from Isla’s obsession and the plot, I really liked this book. Certain moments swept me off my feet, like that time in Barcelona (best part of the book!), and the Josh-baring-his-soul-to-her part (intense; I love it that I finally got something intense from Perkins).

The part where the other characters from the previous books showed up (Anna & Etienne, Lola & Cricket and Meredith) made me feel nostalgic, and I wanted to stay there in the moment where they were all together. I wanted to put it in a jar and preserve it. They felt like old friends.

Isla and the Happily Ever After brought me laughter, frustration, nostalgia, and I-want-to-crawl-inside-the-book-and-live there moments. It’s perfect for a light read, and totally worth a sleepless night.



~ Zee

0 comments:

Post a Comment