Followers

February 08, 2016

Author Spotlight ~ Thirst: Blood of My Blood by R. P. Channing




Synopsis:

240+ Pages
WITH BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS

~ Kira Sutherland ~

After a near fatal accident (and getting cheated on by her 'boyfriend'), and beating up the lead cheerleader (with whom the boyfriend cheated...), and being labeled as having 'issues' in her school because she, uhm, sees ghosts, Kira is left with two choices:

1. Continue her 'therapy' (where she's told the ghost is a hallucination and also gets her legs ogled too often...)

Or

2. Go to Starkfield Academy, a boarding school for "Crazies and Convicts" (as the social media sites call them.)

She chooses the latter...

~ Cory Rand ~

Cory Rand has not had an easy life. His mother died in a car accident when he was twelve, and so did his mother's best friend...sort of. You see, Janice made a promise to take care of Cory just before she died, and so she lingers. Undead. A ghost that watches out for him.

Brought up in an abusive home, Cory quickly falls into a life of disreputable behavior. After his third offense (which was prompted by a girl, as usual - he has a weakness) he's left with two choices:

1. Be tried as an adult and share a cell with a guy named Bubba (he thinks...)

Or

2. Go to Starkfield Academy, which Cory is pretty sure is run by vampires. But, hey, at least he'll get an education.

He chooses the latter...

It's at Starkfield that Kira meets Cory Rand, a boy with an insatiable Rage who sees ghosts, too. As well as other things, other things from his past, things that confuse him, things like fire and witches and demons.

Things he's always ignored.

Until now.

Purchase links:
amazon US | Amazon UK


Author Guest Post:


"Where did the idea of Thirst: Blood of my Blood come from?"

People ask me all the time where I get my ideas from. When I started out writing, I used to ask the same question. The first hundred thousand words I ever wrote were the hardest ever, and whenever I ran out of ideas I went to books about writing, trying to figure where this mysterious skill came from.

None of it helped.

The only thing which helped was to keep on writing.

When you write, you have to understand your market. You have to understand what people want to read about in the genre you’re writing in.

The rest comes from writing itself. Nothing generates ideas like sitting down and hammering away at the keyboard. It takes confidence, and that confidence only grows in you once you’ve written a few hundred thousand words of terrible stories, banged your head against the wall, felt frustrated, and eventually just sat down and said, “Oh, well, I’m going to write now, and I don’t care about failing.”

Suddenly, wham, ideas are there.

I used to worry a lot about word-count. Someone’s first novel (which Thirst is not for me, merely my first published novel) is a daunting task. I remember trying to hammer out 80,000 words three years ago for a story. I ended up screwing the whole thing up. I was too scared to fail.

Well, a million words later, I don’t care anymore. I just write, and write, and often I’ll even scrap half a novel and start over. So long as you can write you’ll always be OK as a writer. Plumbers “plumb.” And writers write.

So where did Thirst come from? Heck, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. I started writing, and I let the story carry me along.

Thirst was one of those novels where I did end up scrapping half of it. I started from scratch halfway through the novel, and then I wrote it again.

Fine-tuning is different. Once you’ve got the first draft done, you have to clean things up. But by that time, ideas take second place. Ideas happen in the first draft, and ideas happen as you write.

The story itself was a unique one for me. I had written about witches before, but never about ghosts. I like writing about witches. They’ve always intrigued me, so there was a lot of old research for some of my earlier work that came into play. I’ll probably write a lot more about witches in future stories. The idea of magic intrigues me, as it does many people.

And the more I write, the more ideas I get about it. ~ R. P. Channing

Author Bio:

R P Channing started writing three years ago, but never published anything even after churning out over a million words of fiction. Thirst: Blood of my Blood is the first book he dared to publish. When asked why, he said, “Because it’s the first thing I wrote that my wife actually enjoyed reading.” When not hammering away (most literally) at his keyboard, he can be found buried in a book, reading anything from romance to horror to young adult to non-fiction to comedy.

Website | twitter | amazon


$20 Amazon Gift Voucher Giveaway


At the back of the book there is a giveaway link. Once the book hits fifty reviews on Amazon, one of those reviewers will win a $20 (US Dollars) Amazon Gift Voucher!

0 comments:

Post a Comment