Followers

March 29, 2016

Review ~ The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies #2)

The Power of Six cover


Synopsis:

I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight.

Purchase links:

Review:


John Smith/Four/whatever-you-want-to-call-him needs to get laid. Srsly.

The Power of Six is much better than its prequel, yet also much worse. Just when I thought I'd be able to completely lose myself in the midst of trouble that these heroes have gotten themselves into, leading to an action-packed story, John/Four/Whatever decides to dampen my enthusiasm by dwelling on his lovesick thoughts about two girls that he's liking in all the wrong reasons. It's thoroughly annoying to be inside his head. Everytime his thoughts turn to the girls, I wish Sam is the hero, not him. I don't even understand the fascination with Sarah; this girl has no character depth at all. She's just very, very beautiful in John/Four's eyes.

I enjoyed this book better than I Am Number Four, and I'm happy to see that the story is getting somewhere. I like the introduction of the new characters, and Marina/Seven surprisingly sounds more. . .real than the other characters. This is the kind of protagonist I want to read about; the kind that evokes my empathy. She's got her priorities straight, unlike John/Four (shall I start to call him He-Who-Needs-To-Get-Laid?).

The thing I don't understand the most is why the authors feel the need to throw in a love triangle--or love square, if we count Sam. This love triangle/square is empty; there doesn't seem to be genuine feelings. I'm so disappointed that Six and Sam is involved in it. This girl has a potential. I hope the authors didn't feel the need to ruin her character just for the sake of having a love triangle/square (which, might I add, doesn't have any significance in the story at all).

Some of my question are still not answered in this book, which makes me wonder if they ever will. How does the Garde-Cepan tandem really work? Why are there two races? Why aren't the Cepans trained to be soldiers, but they are the ones training the Gardes? If Cepans have kids, will the kids be Cepans also? Does it work the same with the Garde? I have so many other questions, and I really, really hope they get answered. I don't like unexplained things.


All in all, the only thing that really dampened my enthusiasm in this book is John/Four and his stupidity. I hope he gets laid soon and stop with the ridiculous lovesick whining. It's getting on my nerves.

~ Zee

0 comments:

Post a Comment