Followers

April 20, 2016

Bookish Diary ~ 10 Popular Books I Haven't Read (and probably won't anytime soon)

In a recent blog post, I have mentioned that lately I tend to steer clear of the books that create a loud buzz on the internet. So today, I decided to write about some of the popular books I have not (and still haven’t decided if I’m going to) read. I’m sure many of you will gasp in disbelief, and one of these books might even be your favorite (I can only hope that you’ll spare me your wrath). Harry Potter would have been in this list, but I have given in and finally read it last year.

I don’t have a problem with these books; it’s just that I’m not in the mood to read them. The strange (and funny) thing is, even though I haven’t read these titles, I still recommend a few of them to people I meet--and when they finish reading it they would tell me to read it. I’m weird like that.

Beware, though. If you haven’t read it, there will probably be minimal spoilers in this post. You’ve been warned.

1. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Shatter Me cover
I don’t know why I’m never in the mood to read this series. My friends have copies I can borrow, and this book is always being recommended to me, but for some reason I have never been interested in picking it up to actually read it. Even in bookstores, I don’t pick up a copy to skim through. Still, I always, always recommend this to people whom I think will actually like it. It’s about a girl with a fatal touch. Honestly, I have forgotten the few things I know about this book—but I will never forget whom the girl ended up with in the end. (To everyone who doesn’t know, I don’t mind spoilers. Sometimes I hunt for them. Peace!)

Peculiar Children cover
I fangirled over the author when my friends told me he’s Tahereh Mafi’s husband. I told you, I’m weird like that. I have never read either author’s books but I still fangirl over them. It must be amazing to be married to a writer. They probably talk about new ideas over breakfast, build fictional worlds together at lunch, and plot characters’ deaths during dinner. Anyway, all my closest bookworm friends have recommended Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children to me since the month it came out, but I have never listened to them. Mostly because I don’t like its genre, and its premise. It’s about, well, peculiar children in some faraway island. They told me it’s creepy, and while I enjoy watching creepy movies, I don’t dig it in books. I just find it creepier if I’m seeing moving pictures than imagining it based on written descriptions. *shrug* I have recommended this book to another close friend who hasn’t read it, and she is actually looking for a copy. Unfortunately, the first book is sold out in all bookstores near her because the trailer has already come out. You know what I mean?

3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Perks of being a wallflower cover
I have only seen the movie, and even then, my mind wandered off before it got halfway through and I kind of didn’t understand what it was about. (Whomever I was with in the movies that day, I'm sorry I didn't pay much attention; I was probably busy plotting). It’s about a guy who’s caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. For some reason, even after watching the movie, I have never been interested in it.

4. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
5th wave cover
This one is highly recommended by my closest bookworm buddies. As far as I know, though, it’s about an Alien invasion and survival. I know it’s probably amazing, but I really am not in the mood for a book about alien invasion. I have only read two series involving aliens, and even then, the first series took me four years after the publication of the first book, and the second one took me six years after the publication of the first book before I finally gave in. Perhaps I’ll read this one on 2018.

5. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Shadow and Bone cover
Nope. I haven’t read it, and I probably never will. I know it’s amazing; everyone tells me so. But then I know I will fall in love with Darkling, and I know I will get my heart shattered in a million pieces. I don’t want a repeat of Cole in the Everneath series, thank you very much. This fantasy novel is probably worth all the hype it is getting, but I won’t do that to myself. Nope. Thanks.

6. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Heir of Fire cover
This would have been Throne of Glass, except I finally gave in and read it during Maas’s Asia Tour. I didn’t like Throne of Glass that much, but I loved Crown of Midnight. However, I am totally Team Captain of the Guard, and I am so not ready to read how he got his heart broken. The problem with popular books is that it’s hard to avoid the spoilers. I don’t mind spoilers—sometimes I crave them, sometimes I can’t finish a book without them—but that spoiler about Chaol Westfall is something I can’t bring myself to feel yet. I don't want to taint his memory in my mind, thankyouverymuch. This series is about a kickass assassin who has a hidden identity (no, the hidden identity is not the assassin being a girl; it’s a much bigger revelation than this).

7. Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Lady Midnight cover
I have had enough of Shadowhunters, thank you very much. Enough said.









8. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Vampire Academy cover
I don’t care for vampire novels. Yes, I have read Twilight, but if I’m being honest, I read it for the romance (and when I got to the second book, I have decided that Bella’s internal organs would look good around my neck). I have seen my friends’ reviews and ratings of this book in Goodreads, but for some reason I just don’t like paranormal books that features vampires or werewolves as protagonists.



9. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Red Rising cover
I have been meaning to read this book. Really, I have. The year the first book came out, I told myself I’d wait for the paperback version because the hardcover is so expensive. The year the second book was published, I told myself I’d wait for the final book because I don’t want to risk cliffhangers. Now the series is complete. . .and I realize that I’m just not in the mood for it. It’s funny, because I recommended this book to Djan, and now he has read all of them and told me to go read it. I want to read it just to get it over with, but I keep passing it up to grab another book instead when I’m in the bookstore. Sorry, not sorry.

10. The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia Vol. 1-7 cover
For some reason, I have never been interested in reading this series. It’s such a shame, I know, because from what I’ve heard it’s such a great series. I didn’t even watch the movies.








You know, after finishing this short list, I’m actually kind of sad. I’m probably missing out on a lot of good books, because this list doesn't even cover all of the popular books I haven't read, but I just can’t bring myself to read them just yet. One of the reasons I stay away from popular books is because not all books are worth the hype they are getting (like Red Queen and Glass Sword; UGH *eye roll*), and I don’t want to find out if these books turn out to be one of those. Mostly, though, I’m just really not in the mood for them (Sorry, not sorry).

Have you ever stayed away from a book because of all the hype it’s getting? What book is it?

If you have your own list of popular books that you have yet to read, drop it in the comments! :)

~ Zee

0 comments:

Post a Comment