Followers

August 26, 2014

Review ~ Pure (Covenant #2) by Jennifer Armentrout







Synopsis:

There is need. And then there is Fate. Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's other half is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon--and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude--or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


Buy from:

Amazon | B&N | Book Depository 


Review:


The sequel is even better than the first book. This one deserves a six out of five stars! Pure is a gripping story that took a hold of me and didn’t let go until I’ve turned the last page. Why, oh why, did I put off reading this series? It is ten-buckets-of-fries good (and I love fries something fierce, so that’s saying something).

Pure is a very riveting read. It possesses the romance, conflicts and action I want in a book. I couldn’t put it down because I felt like it has its fingers gripping me. My eyes are glued to it from the beginning until the last page. There are times when the tension is so thick I could almost feel it suffocating me.

I like it that the plot gives away enough information to tease your curious brain but never enough clues to satisfy your concluding thoughts. With every suspicious scene, I kept wondering, “Is this what the oracle meant?”

Alex is still as entertaining as ever. Jennifer Armentrout’s way of narrating as Alex’s voice is very catchy. The constant sarcastic thoughts keep the reader from being bored. Alex’s attitude feels like a living, breathing thing. I think, after reading this book, I started thinking and talking like Alex. LOL.

I still don’t have the feels for Seth, though this is more like his book, but sometimes he’s really confusing. There are times like ‘He must like Alex’ but then something happens and it becomes ‘No, he just wants the power’. Seth is a very strong character, but I’m not sure if he’s supposed to be a part of a love triangle or he’s supposed to be one of the power-hungry villains.

Aiden is very annoying in this book. I understand that he needed to decide whether to risk it or not, but I really hope he could hold his decision without being the King of Mixed Signals. That doesn’t help Alex at all.
The action in the climax is a very good one. I like it that the narration is very detailed so I can imagine it properly and see it as if it’s playing right in front of my eyes.


Pure made me yell in frustration, giggle like a schoolgirl, and cry like a baby (Caleb!). I still want to crawl inside the book and partake in their adventures. It doesn’t feel enough that I’m just a witness in their story. Armentrout sure knows how to catch the full attention of a reader. I just want more, more, more.


~ Zee

0 comments:

Post a Comment