Followers

November 20, 2015

Review ~ This Man (This Man #1) by Jodi Ellen Malpas

This Man cover

add to goodreads

Synopsis:

Young interior designer Ava O’Shea has an appointment for a first consultation at The Manor with the owner, Mr Jesse Ward. She is expecting nothing more than an overweight, cravat wearing, well-to-do countryman, and on arrival, nothing would suggest otherwise. How wrong could she be? This Man is devastatingly handsome, charming and confident. He is also a conceited, hedonistic playboy, who knows no boundaries. Ava desperately does not want to be attracted to him, but she can’t control the overwhelming effect he has on her. Every instinct is telling her to run, so she does, but Jesse Ward is not so willing to let her go. He wants her and is determined to have her. She knows she is heading for heartbreak, but how can she run when he won’t let her?

Purchase links:
amazon | B&N | kobo | iTunes | Book depository

Review:

It really sucks when a book that had thousands of people swooning and falling in love didn't impress me.

I liked the writing style, the secondary characters named Sam and John, and the mysterious past of the male MC. I didn't like everything aside from those three, though.

This Man dragged until about 90% of the book, and the plot is second to nonexistent. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, considering the genre of this book.

Ava O'Shea is everything I hate in a female MC--no backbone, confusing as hell, and very submissive. If she's a man, she's what one would call someone who thinks with his dick. I liked her at first when she was still listening to her warning bells, but that escalated quickly. It's a good thing she's only a character in a book, because I'd really worry for her if she went around falling in love with a man who stalked her.

Jesse Ward is described as hot, but I beg to differ. Since fictional characters don't have a virtual face, readers fall in love with their personalities and words and actions. This man may have been described as hot by the female MC, but from what I have read there is nothing hot about him. I found him creepy, to be honest.

Both MCs were a little predictable, and too frustrating. I don't get them at all. I'd probably read the sequel, though. I'd really like to know the mystery behind Jesse Ward.

~ Zee

Am I going to like the sequel better? Should I read until the third book? Should I skip a book? 

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this series before until a few months ago, and added it to my TBR. It's been happening a lot with me lately; not liking the books everyone else seem to love. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It's really sad when I don't like these kinds of books that made the bestseller's lists. After reading, I think, "What is the fuss about?" But then we all have different opinion, and I'm clearly on the minority here. *sigh*

      Thanks for checking out my blog! ^_^ ~Zee

      Delete