Followers

September 24, 2014

Review ~ Desert Heat by Elizabeth Reyes







Synopsis:

Besides working three jobs, worrying about her family back home, and running from her past, the worst thing to complicate Bethany Amaya’s life further would be a romance. But after a second-run in with the irresistibly sexy detective Damian Santiago, that’s exactly what she gets. In the blink of an eye, she’s caught up in a passionate romance with one of the most intense men she’s ever met.


Awestruck for a second time by the beautiful and intriguing performer, Damian is both surprised and delighted that Bethany agrees to something he didn’t even expect to be asking for so soon—exclusivity. As things heat up, Damian’s skills of detecting and reading body language begin to raise suspicions—Bethany is keeping something from him. Try as he might to calm his suspicions, the blatant signs become impossible to ignore.



Some things are better left unsaid. At least that’s what Bethany keeps telling herself. She never imagined falling in love so quickly, and she refuses to get Damian caught up in her troubles. She knows what he suspects—sees it in those possessive eyes. With Damian’s suspicions mounting, time is of the essence. The race is on, and Bethany finds herself scrambling to fix the past before the truth comes out and Damian finds out that it’s much worse than he suspected.



Buy From:

Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Book Depository


Review:

I just love this book. Elizabeth Reyes’s way of writing has captured my fangirl heart and I won’t stop until I have read all of her books, and when I’m done I might just pester her to write more and fast. Desert Heat might be the hottest novel of Elizabeth Reyes yet.

I like the twist and mystery of the book. The way the author pulled it off is good. Elizabeth Reyes sure knows how to build the readers’ anticipation.

I will admit that when it comes to this author, we get pretty much similar characters. Alpha males, women who stand up against them, hot affairs between MCs. I have not read all of Reyes’s books but from the half I’ve read I have noticed the similarities of the characters, but it does not bother me. I guess my favorite thing about this author is no matter how “redundant” the characters seem to be, they never get old for me. The way she puts different twists and different conflicts in each book grabs me every time. So while I think the redundancy in the characteristics of the MCs might not be a good thing for the books (because for some it gets old fast), Elizabeth Reyes makes up for it in the execution of the story. That’s another thing I like about her.

The plot is good for me; it’s neither slow-paced nor fast-paced. It’s just the right pace, I think. The character developments are good, too. However, one thing I didn’t like about Damian is he moved a little too late. He’s supposed to be an intelligent detective, but sometimes he really lets his emotions get in the way.

I like the way Desert Heat kept me guessing about its characters and their predicaments. Like, what is Bethany hiding? That totally shocked me. In all the possibilities I’ve thought, not one was correct. I like that, because it just proves that the book is not predictable (I hate predictable reads).

Have I mentioned that this book is sooooo hot? I’m not much for that kind of hot affair (I like the romance and mystery but hot scenes get old really fast for me) but I know there are readers who are, and this book might just be perfect for their taste.

Elizabeth Reyes never fails to keep me wanting more of her romance novels.



~ Zee

0 comments:

Post a Comment